The Academy of Management is the preeminent professional association for management and organization scholars.
As the Academy of Management evolved, concerns arose about lack of support for scholarly research in management. Members saw such research as the necessary foundation for defining the Academy of Management as an academic rather than a practitioner organization. To formalize the Academy's support for research and the exchange of ideas, the membership created a constitutional committee at the Academy's 1940 meeting. A constitution formally adopted on December 30, 1941, declared the Academy's scholarly purpose.
No meetings were held during the World War II years. Reactivation of the Academy of Management occurred in Chicago on December 27, 1947. The following year, in Cleveland, the Academy was broadened to become an organization of college teachers of management. The original founding members became the AOM Fellows.